Friday 15 March 2013

The Adventure Continues

So last time I started by saying I didn't have much to report then rambled on for five paragraphs. This time there is actually some proper news but I'll come to that after I have attempted to bore you with other scribblings.

On Monday this week I finally made it to a climbing centre. Two hours later I realised over six weeks without climbing had left me with weakened fingers as I repeatedly fell off climbs I felt sure I should be able to do. (They do say use it or lose it.) Looks like I will have to start re-training for when all my climbing friends come to visit. The good thing was the centre was reasonable and the staff very friendly. I then, on Thursday, got to try out the second climbing centre in Wellington (this time with other people to climb with). This too had reasonable facilities and friendly staff. It also had the added advantage of being half the distance from home. I was still falling off repeatedly though. Must try harder!

So to the big news of the week. After the job interview last Friday I received a follow up phone call asking if they could contact my referees. I was then invited back for a second interview on Wednesday. This "interview" turned out to be an informal chat with the manager in a cafe over a cup of coffee. They obviously weren't put off by my description of myself as "mental" and I have been offered the job. I am therefore due to start as an Environmental Protection Officer for Greater Wellington Regional Council on the 25th March. Scary!

Today I got out for a good walk - 15kms or so through the Te Kopahou Reserve (which is the area on the opposite side of the valley from our house). I walked up to a radar dome on the ridge through an area that was burnt in a scrub fire two weeks ago. Once up on the ridge I then headed through the reserve and down to the coast, then along the beach and back home. It turned out to be a very windy day (Wellington living up to its nickname) and despite the sun it was quite chilly. The forecast had said winds of 30-40kph but down on the sea front, with the funnelling (or maybe katabatic) effects of the steep coastline, there were gusts of 70kph+. It was actually difficult to walk and I was periodically covered in grit, sand and sea spray. All in all it was best described as invigorating and I did get some great views over the reserve and Wellington from the ridge tops.

I'll leave you with some pictures from the walk (there is a full album on Facetube)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment